Friday, 28 July 2017
News with tag Reuters  RSS
Pakistani council orders "revenge rape" of 16-year-old girl

Added: 28.07.2017 14:25 | 0 views | 0 comments


By Asif Shahzad ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistani police have arrested 25 members of an informal village council accused of ordering the rape of a 16-year-old girl as revenge for her brother's alleged sexual assault of another girl. The Supreme Court also requested a report on the case, which echoed a notorious case from 2002 in which another teenager was gang-raped on a local council's order. "A total of 29 people were involved in this ghastly crime, and we have 25 of them in our custody," Multan City Police Officer Ahsan Younus told Reuters by telephone on Thursday.


From: https:

Nokia profits surge after Apple deal and network gains

Added: 28.07.2017 12:23 | 1 views | 0 comments


By Jussi Rosendahl HELSINKI (Reuters) - Network equipment maker Nokia reported a jump in profit on Thursday thanks to a patent deal with Apple and gains in market share though it warned the network business could slow by more than expected this year. Nokia's shares rose 5.5 percent by 0820 GMT after it posted second-quarter operating profit of 574 million euros ($674 million), up 73 percent from a year ago and well above analysts' average forecast of 447 million euros in a Reuters poll. "We are actually taking some share in the market ... early signs look quite promising in terms of market share development," Nokia Chief Executive Rajeev Suri told a conference call.


From: https:

Oxford University a 'school for stupid people', says Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte

Added: 28.07.2017 10:23 | 0 views | 0 comments


The Philippines’ fiery President Rodrigo Duterte has lashed out at Oxford University as a “school for stupid people” after it published a study claiming he had paid for a cyber army to increase his popularity on social media. The study, “Troops, Trolls and Troublemakers: A Global Inventory of Organised Social Media Manipulation”, looked at the strategies used by political parties and candidates in 28 different countries to spread their party messaging and inflate social media engagement numbers. It claims that Duterte’s camp paid $200,000 (£150,000) in 2016, the year he was elected, for a social media campaign that used citizens and groups to promote and defend him online. Graduates pose for a photograph outside the Sheldonian Theatre after a graduation ceremony at Oxford University Credit: Reuters Duterte has admitted to paying people to defend him on social media but said this only happened during the campaign season, strongly denying it continued after he was elected. “Now I do not need it. I do not need to defend myself against attacks. I stated my piece during my inauguration and my campaign,” he said, according to local news outlet, Rappler. “Oxford University? That’s a school for stupid people.” Duterte, a former mayor from the southern city of Davao, won the 2016 election with a populist message that targeted drug trafficking. Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte delivers his State of the Nation Address earlier this week  Credit: Barcroft Images His subsequent support of extra-judicial killings of suspected drug dealers and users has since been strongly criticised by human rights groups. The report documents how cyber troops have been used to silence political dissent online and on how trolling can lead to real-life threats and reputational damage. In the Philippines it asserts that “many of the so-called “keyboard trolls” hired to spread propaganda for presidential candidate Duterte during the election continue to spread and amplify messages in support of his policies now he’s in power." In quotes | Rodrigo Duterte, President of the Philippines  


From: https:

Saudi Arabia should clarify status of ex-crown prince: HRW

Added: 27.07.2017 21:25 | 3 views | 0 comments


LONDON (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia must clarify whether they have imposed movement restrictions on former crown prince Mohammed bin Nayef, Human Rights Watch said on Thursday, saying the kingdom should end all arbitrary travel bans and detentions of Saudi citizens. Saudi officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the HRW statement. Reuters reported last week that the former crown prince has been under house arrest since his overthrow in favor of the king's favorite son, Mohammed bin Salman, in June. Saudi authorities have denied the story. ...


From: https:

Pakistani council orders "revenge rape" of 16-year-old girl

Added: 27.07.2017 10:40 | 5 views | 0 comments


By Asif Shahzad ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistani police have arrested 25 members of an informal village council accused of ordering the rape of a 16-year-old girl as revenge for her brother's alleged sexual assault of another girl. The Supreme Court also requested a report on the case, which echoed a notorious case from 2002 in which another teenager was gang-raped on a local council's order. "A total of 29 people were involved in this ghastly crime, and we have 25 of them in our custody," Multan City Police Officer Ahsan Younus told Reuters by telephone on Thursday.


From: https:

Oxford University a 'school for stupid people', says Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte

Added: 27.07.2017 8:23 | 2 views | 0 comments


The Philippines’ fiery President Rodrigo Duterte has lashed out at Oxford University as a “school for stupid people” after it published a study claiming he had paid for a cyber army to increase his popularity on social media. The study, “Troops, Trolls and Troublemakers: A Global Inventory of Organised Social Media Manipulation”, looked at the strategies used by political parties and candidates in 28 different countries to spread their party messaging and inflate social media engagement numbers. It claims that Duterte’s camp paid $200,000 in 2016, the year he was elected, for a social media campaign that used citizens and groups to promote and defend him online. Graduates pose for a photograph outside the Sheldonian Theatre after a graduation ceremony at Oxford University Credit: Reuters Duterte has admitted to paying people to defend him on social media but said this only happened during the campaign season, strongly denying it continued after he was elected. “Now I do not need it. I do not need to defend myself against attacks. I stated my piece during my inauguration and my campaign,” he said, according to local news outlet, Rappler. “Oxford University? That’s a school for stupid people.” Duterte, a former mayor from the southern city of Davao, won the 2016 election with a populist message that targeted drug trafficking. In quotes | Rodrigo Duterte, President of the Philippines His subsequent support of extra-judicial killings of suspected drug dealers and users has since been strongly criticised by human rights groups. The report documents how cyber troops have been used to silence political dissent online and on how trolling can lead to real-life threats and reputational damage. In the Philippines it asserts that “many of the so-called “keyboard trolls” hired to spread propaganda for presidential candidate Duterte during the election continue to spread and amplify messages in support of his policies now he’s in power."


From: https:

Exclusive: U.N. report accuses Saudi coalition of deadly migrant boat attack off Yemen

Added: 26.07.2017 17:42 | 2 views | 0 comments


UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - U.N. investigators accused a Saudi Arabia-led military coalition of carrying out a deadly March attack on a Somali migrant boat off Yemen and said the alliance had become a cover for some states to avoid individual blame, according to a confidential report seen by Reuters on Wednesday.

From: feeds.reuters.com

Donald Trump Jr. adds Washington lawyer to legal team

Added: 25.07.2017 10:23 | 9 views | 0 comments


The president's oldest son, Donald Trump Jr., has added a lawyer with congressional experience to his legal team, the lawyer told Reuters on Sunday. Trump Jr. has hired Karina Lynch of the law firm Williams and Jensen, Lynch confirmed in an email to Reuters. Trump Jr. also hired Alan Futerfas as a lawyer after reports detailed meetings last year between Trump Jr. and a Russian lawyer.


From: https:

Two Canadian men found guilty of polygamy in first test of 127-year-old law

Added: 25.07.2017 1:03 | 2 views | 0 comments


Two men, including one who has 25 wives and 146 children, were convicted of polygamy on Monday in a landmark ruling that upheld Canada's longstanding ban on the practice. Winston Blackmore and James Marion Oler, who has five wives, face up to five years in prison after being found guilty in the first real test of the country's polygamy law, enacted 127 years ago. Three special prosecutors had been appointed over the past two decades to consider bringing charges against the pair, but they backed down over concerns that the law prohibiting polygamy violated Canadians' constitutional right to religious freedom. Those fears were assuaged in 2011 when British Columbia province's Supreme Court ruled in a reference case that the inherent harms of polygamy justified putting limits on religious freedoms, clearing the way for charges to be filed against Blackmore and Oler three years later. Winston Blackmore, the religious leader of the controversial polygamous community of Bountiful located near Creston, British Columbia, Canada, shares a laugh with six of his daughters and some of his grandchildren Credit: AP Judge Sheri Ann Donegan of the British Columbia Supreme Court noted in her ruling that the main defendant, Blackmore, did not deny his polygamy. "His adherence to the practices and beliefs of the FLDS is not in dispute," she said. Blackmore spoke briefly to reporters outside the courthouse in Cranbrook after the verdict, saying that he was living his religion and that it was very important to him and his family. Oler left without speaking to reporters. Blackmore's lawyer, Blair Suffredine, had told the court during the trial that he would launch a constitutional challenge of Canada’s polygamy laws if his client was found guilty. James Oler leaves the court house after a Canadian judge found the former member of a breakaway religious sect guilty of practicing polygamy, in Cranbrook Credit: Reuters The two men are senior figures in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), a polygamist religious sect that broke away from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, also known as the Mormon Church. The sect has been based for nearly 60 years in the remote, mountainous region of British Columbia near the US border where the community grows, raises or hunts its own food and runs a barter economy. The Canadian group is part of the same sect led by jailed US polygamist leader Warren Jeffs. The mainstream Utah-based Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints abandoned polygamy in 1890. At the 12-day trial earlier this year, witnesses included mainstream Mormon experts, law enforcement officials who worked on the investigation and Jane Blackmore, a former wife of Winston Blackmore who left the Canadian community in 2003. Justice Sheri Ann Donegan praised Jane Blackmore as a highly credible and reliable witness. "She was a careful witness," Donegan said. "There was nothing contrived or rehearsed in her answers. She was impartial." Much of the evidence in the trial came from marriage and personal records seized by law enforcement at a church compound in Texas in 2008. Donegan disagreed with assertions by Blackmore and his lawyer that the records should be given little or no weight, saying she found them reliable. Donegan said Winston Blackmore's adherence to the practices and beliefs of the religious group were never in dispute, nothing that he did not deny his marriages to police in 2009. Blackmore even made two corrections to a detailed list of his alleged wives, she said. "He spoke openly about his practice of polygamy," Donegan said. "Mr. Blackmore confirmed that all of his marriages were celestial marriages in accordance with FLDS rules and practices."


From: https:

Chinese jets intercept U.S. surveillance plane - U.S. officials

Added: 24.07.2017 15:02 | 11 views | 0 comments


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Chinese fighter jets intercepted a U.S. Navy surveillance plane over the East China Sea over the weekend, with one coming within about 300 feet (91 meters) of the American aircraft, two U.S. officials told Reuters on Monday.

From: feeds.reuters.com


Older articles »
advertising

Copyright © 2008-2017 abouthub.info  - all rights reserved